12 Things To Do in Tupelo, Mississippi
Well, it’s about time we wrote a “To-Do” list for our hometown of Tupelo, Mississippi! We’ve had so many other travelers ask us about Tupelo or “What is there to see besides Elvis’ house?”
I finally sat down and wrote out exactly what I would recommend to visitors to really get a feel for what Tupelo is all about.
Come for the Elvis history, but stick around for some great museums, local music, and food, food, food!
1. Visit the Birthplace of Elvis where you can walk through the tiny house the Presleys lived in before Elvis became “The King”.
2. Order a doughburger at Johnnie’s Drive-In (and eat in the Elvis booth!).
3. Pose for a photo op with the Elvis statue in the Fairpark.
4. Stop by Tupelo Hardware, where Elvis’ mom bought his first guitar.
5. Visit Connie’s Chicken to try some local favorites including onion rings, the famous blueberry doughnut, and the chicken, of course!
6. Take a stroll through the Tupelo Automobile Museum to see some true classics! (Guys, they have a DeLorean!)
7. Be sure to watch for the herd of buffalo (and the zebras and camel) as you drive by the Tupelo Buffalo Park near the airport.
8. Enjoy the views as you drive or ride the Natchez Trace. Be sure to visit the Natchez Trace Visitor’s Center.
9. Stop by the Oren Dunn City Museum to learn the history of Tupelo (including medical and Native American history as well as information on the devastating tornado in 1936) and the Veterans Museum (which is one of the top museums I have EVER visited! You will be blown away by Mr. Tony Lute’s collection. Every piece has a story.).
10. Wander through the Mississippi Hills Heritage and Cultural Center to learn more about the culture, heritage, and legendary people of the area.
11. Try blackened catfish nachos at The Stables Downtown Grill and finish with a soft-serve cone at Dairy Kreme.
12. Catch some live local music and eat some amazing food at Steele’s Dive, Romie’s Grocery, or Blue Canoe.
Have you visited Tupelo before? Is it on your travel bucket list? What are you most excited to see in Tupelo? Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments below!
Pin it! Share this post on Pinterest!
Jennifer is the founder of Just Chasing Rabbits travel blog. She lives in Mississippi with husband/travel companion, Mark, and three fur babies. After obtaining a BA degree in studio art and working in the field of photography for years, Jenni has combined her love of travel and photography to form this blog. Mark and Jenni share their experiences in hopes of inspiring others to have wonderful adventures and see the world.
You can follow Jenni on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and Pinterest.